Quick Exit

Home of Your Own

A self help tool for renters affected by family violence

Staying in a rental Leaving a rental Getting a new home

Staying in a rental home when impacted by family violence.

You can get support to avoid eviction and make your home safer if you have experienced family violence.

Guy on couch petting their cat

Leaving a rental home when impacted by family violence

You can get support to end a lease early and resolve legal and financial issues related to the rental home you are leaving.

Woman arranging letters.

Getting a new home when impacted by family violence

You can get support to find a new home and make it safer to live in.

Woman opening the door of house

Where can I get help?

Get more legal support

If you are experiencing or at risk of homelessness in Victoria, apply online for legal assistance from Justice Connect's Homeless Law on 03 8636 4408 or 1800 606 313 (free from landlines).

To find additional free legal services, explore here.

Family violence support

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call triple zero (000).

If you are experiencing or at risk of family violence in Victoria, Safe Steps (1800 015 188, freecall 24/7) can help you find somewhere safe to go.

For support across Australia, call 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732, freecall 24/7) or visit 1800respect.org.au for webchat & text message options.

Other support services

For housing support in Victoria, you can call 1800 825 955 (freecall, 24/7) to speak to a local housing support worker.

For financial issues, National Debt Helpline can assist with money issues and financial counselling, including support for financial hardship caused by family violence.

Find the right support service for you.

Need help understanding your options?

Woman using computer in the kitchen

By answering a few anonymous questions, you’ll receive personalised information about your rights and options, and practical help to safely avoid homelessness, including creating tailored documents.

Get started